Thursday, November 20, 2008

Dad's Hidden Talent

In surfing the internet today, I was reminded of something that my father used to do when I was very young and the world was still a magical place for me. I was looking for the music from the movie "August Rush", which Steve and I watched last night and has quickly become one of my favorites. In the process, I came across some harp music on YouTube. I have long wanted to learn to play the harp, and sometimes I wonder if I will ever have the money to pursue this dream of mine. But I digress... If you've ever been on YouTube, you know that when you watch one video, others are suggested for viewing.

So there I was enjoying the harp music, when I noticed another video of a gentleman playing the harmonica. That brought back a favorite memory of asking my father to play the harmonica for us. When Dad was young, he was smart, handsome and talented. And he knew it. He used to love to entertain us. Anything to make you laugh. He would play "You Are My Sunshine" and the theme from the Woody Woodpecker show on the harmonica. I don't remember any other songs he played, but I know there were more. Dad would play and play... and we loved every minute of it. I wonder how many of my siblings would remember that. He knew my love of music, and I remember him teaching me how to play the harmonica. "It's a matter of inhaling and exhaling at the right time," he told me. "Just practice and you'll get better". And I did. I never got as good as he was though. He would move his hands and make the music sound like it had a vibrato. I loved it. I wish he had kept it up in his older years. I guess life's stresses took precedence over making music. It's a shame. The music should never leave your life.

The music died on October 26, 2008. I will miss it, and the one who brought it to life for me. So Dad, this one's for you.



Nazdrovie'

Paczki Puta

No comments: