Monday, April 23, 2012

Mama's Got Game

Recently, I was mulling over the mentality of the people in this part of the country, and I have to agree with my Sociology professor: People in the south are very nice... TO YOUR FACE. It took me a long time to figure out the nature of the beast down here, but I've got it, and I won't lose it again. I've got your game now.

For example, not long after I arrived here, I was verbally accosted by my husband's aunt. What followed was verbal accusations by his mother and grandmother, and then his mother decided to prefer her sister's grandchildren over her own. But it's all right. I've got her game.

We were intentionally excluded from his mother's birthday parties by her "friends" and we weren't invited to any gatherings by his family. It's been 30 years of hell, and it's all right. We've got their game.

We have to hear about family tragedies long after the deed is over. It's all right. We've got your game.

 It has been said that to have friends, you have to be a friend. I've done that, and what I've gotten for my efforts is being used, abused and thrown aside. But it's all right. I've got their game.

Periodically, I would conveniently forget how the people down here are and help out with functions at church or wherever. But their true nature always comes forth. And it's all right. I've got their game.

At times, I would assist struggling musicians by creating their websites, and they decided to reward me by not paying what I was owed. It's all right. I've got their game.

In college, I volunteered for many events, only to be cast aside when it came time for a leadership role. I've got your game too.

What I have discovered through this whole process is that no matter how much I would like to have a good friend, I won't have one down here. My best friends are people I met while living in Chicago, and they are still my friends to this day. I've got their game and they've got mine.

What that means is that I know they've got my back. Down south, all I can say I know is that I'm constantly picking their knives out of my back. I won't live like this any longer, and I am saying right here and now that NO is going to be my favorite word. I don't care if someone needs my help and I'm the ONLY person in the world who can help them. Charity begins at home and the only people who will get my help will be my family, and those who have earned my trust.

That's my game and I've already got yours.

Nazdrowie'

Paczki Puta

No comments: