Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Gob, Shrimper and Buck, Among Others

In my family, there is a "tradition" of giving the youngsters nicknames. According to my Uncle Jerry it all started with Dzia Dzia. It may have begun before then, but let's just start with what we have.

Dzia Dzia loved to have family around. He was so fond of family that over the years, he gave everyone a name that he would call us by... a nickname. The first came with his oldest son, my father, who he called "Gob". No one seems to know why, but Gob it was. Aunt Shirley was next, who was Dzia Dzia's only daughter, and was called "Shrimper". Then came Uncle Jerry... the youngest of the three, who he called "Buck". I understood "Shrimper" and "Buck", but never understood "Gob". Not very flattering, but it is what it is.

When I was young, I got my own nickname from my beloved grandfather. "Stinky". Ugh... couldn't he think of anything better than "Stinky"? How in the world was I going to justify "Stinky" to a potential boyfriend/husband as I grew to gangly teen? And although I never said anything about it not being the most flattering name for a cutie like me, I grew to like it, because it came only from Dzia Dzia. I remember the last time I heard myself called that. It was the last time I saw Dzia Dzia, about a week before he passed away, when I came to the hospital to visit him. He and I had an understanding about hospitals. They weren't pleasant, and you should have as many visitors as often as possible. So I went. I hated seeing him that way, but I sat there, nonetheless, not knowing what to say or how to say it. I didn't stay long. I saw a tube that Busia was "fiddling" with, and there was blood coming through it. One end of the tube went to a bag. The other end went to Dzia Dzia. I closed my eyes tightly when I saw it. I knew he wasn't going to make it. I got up to leave and all he said was "Oh Stinky..." Thud.

As the years went on, I found myself giving others nicknames, if only for the fact that I could do so. Steve became "Bubba", Jason was "Puddin' Head" and Rhys was "The Rhyster". I don't know if they ever gave me a nickname, but I can just imagine the names they called me under their breath when I was chiding them for one thing or another. Whatever it was, I'm sure it wasn't a term of endearment.

I've given others names over time. I once worked for a man that I called "The Demon Seed". He was horrible, and the name was appropriate. Our first dog, Rebel, I called "Puppy". You'd have to understand how large Rebel was to have an appreciation of the name. Rebel was 72 pounds of coonhound. But he always had the heart of a puppy. Tucker has been "Tucker Bug". Who knows why. But he's been Tucker Bug since day one. Lexie has been "Lexarinapuss". Shelby is "Speed Bump" (she's got a slight weight problem). Samantha is "Sammy Toes". Rocky is "Rockamania" or "Rock Monster". Gizmo is "The Giz" and Gidget is "Gidgy Goo". Ginger was always "Ginger Lee". I said that she was the only cat to have a southern accent, because she would yell "me-OWOW".

My older brother Wayne became "Butch". Other nicknames in my family were "Itsy-Bitsy" AND "Droopy Drawers" for Cheri, "Butterball" for Don, "Red" for Julie, "Peggy" for Peggy (I guess she already had enough baggage with Marjorie Mary for a first name), "Holly Terror" for Holly (in honor of the holy terror she was when she was little), and although I don't remember a name that Joe was called by everyone else, I called him "Giuseppe".

Do I have a favorite? Well... I guess I wouldn't mind being called "Stinky" again.

Nazdrovie'

Paczki Puta

No comments: